Friday, November 8, 2013

Confessions of a Communities in Schools-Henry Intern - Part I

Welcome to my first blog as an Intern with Communities in Schools-Henry.  Allow me to introduce myself. 

My name is Crystal Cohen and  I am a Graduate student attending Clayton State University, pursuing a Master’s degree in Applied Developmental Psychology. My training at Clayton State University emphasizes the integration of research based practices, developmental theories, and practical application of these features to improve programs, interventions, and policies that impact the lives of children. I am specifically interested in applying my knowledge of developmental science to the areas of education policy, education research, and education law.  My hope is that I can contribute to maximizing the educational experiences of all student populations.  As such, I believe that there are many different pathways to enable student success,. and agencies such as Community in Schools provide such a pathway.

As part of my graduate studies, I am required to take a course surveying and critiquing agencies that served children, as well as complete 500 hours of an internship.  My research into the agency would culminate into a research paper addressing the purpose of the agency, the need(s) that it fulfilled and proof of its success - and, by proof, I needed evidenced based proof.  Since my focus for my graduate degree is the application of developmental psychology to school environments to foster achievement, I searched for an organization that embodied my interests and my belief that all children are capable of success if given the proper support.  My search initially led me to Connecting Henry where I met with Darryl Dotschay, Coordinator, who in turn directed me to Shane Persaud, Executive Director of Communities in Schools-Henry.  This meeting was the start of my education about the Community In Schools model and my current association with Communities in Schools-Henry as an Intern. 

The big sell for me was the Communities in Schools model of “surround[ing] students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life,” and the fact that the methods employed by Communities in Schools have been empirical tested, making it the only dropout prevention program in the nation with scientifically based evidence to prove that it increases graduation rates.  These facts, along with the fact that the Communities in Schools model is directly in line with the ecological model that I was immersed in my graduate studies let me know that this agency would not only result in an excellent research topic, but also serve as an excellent internship site. 

I plan to use this blog as a sort of internship diary.  In other blog entries, I will expound on the Communities In Schools model in action as I work within the model to create and improve programs and connections within the community to empower students in Henry County.   

Background Information on Communities in Schools

Communities In Schools (CIS) is the United States' largest dropout prevention organization. Communities In Schools (CIS) surrounds students with a community of support, empowering them to stay in school and achieve in life.  

Utilizing the CIS model, we assist selected communities and schools throughout Georgia to develop, implement and support locally-defined, comprehensive education programs.  The integrated student services model enables kids to graduate from high school and prepares them to succeed in college or a career.  Whether we are providing a student with eyeglasses so he/she can see the front of the class or matching a child with a mentor, all of our services meet one of our “five basics.”

CIS believe every child needs and deserves:

  1. A one-on-one relationship with a caring adult (mentors, parental involvement programs)
  2. A safe place to learn and grow (afterschool programs)
  3. A healthy start and a healthy future (drug and alcohol education, physical and dental exams)
  4. A marketable skill to use upon graduation (career counseling and employment skills)
  5. A chance to give back to peers and community (community service opportunities)

For more information on CIS-Henry contact us at:
Communities in Schools - Henry
70 Macon Street
McDonough, GA 30253
Phone: 678 432 4499 

http://www.cis-henry.org/



Crystal Cohen is a Graduate student in Clayton State University's Master's of Psychology Program, Applied Developmental Track, with an expected graduation date in 2014.  Her role at Communities in School-Henry includes program development and evaluation, as well as dissemination of information via social media platforms of evidence based practices that promote student achievement.






No comments:

Post a Comment